Thursday, January 7, 2021

What-ifs and If-onlys and Even-if



Right now many of us are plagued by what-ifs–borrowing trouble, worrying about the future, catastrophizing. What if schools never reopen? What if I lose my job? What if theaters and sports venues never open? What if the economy doesn't recover?

Shel Silverstein one of my favorite poet-philosophers so aptly describes this phenomenon:



"Last night while I lay thinking here,
Some Whatifs crawled inside my ear.
And danced and partied all night long
and sang their same old Whatif song."

Or maybe you're troubled by the if-onlys–should've, would've, could've thinking.  If-only I had kept that mammogram appointment. If-only I had never smoked.  If-only I had listened to my mother. This frame of mind is common during the grieving process. If-only I had spent more time with him. If-only I had taken her for that appointment. If-only I had been kinder.

What-ifs and if-onlys are both a waste of time and energy. What's done is done; we can't change the past. And we have no control over what will happen tomorrow. They are flip sides of the same coin and indicate a lack of trust in God.

I admit, some days the What-ifs and If-onlys crawl inside my ears.  "If-only" Jim hadn't died. "What-if" I develop dementia? "What-if" I run out of money?

Are you plagued by the If-onlys or What-ifs? Ask God to help you live in the present, not lamenting the past or fearing the future. When you are doubting God, remember that "Even-if" He doesn't answer our prayers immediately, we must trust that He is able.

No comments:

Post a Comment